26 May 2012

Not quite the progress I'd hoped for

I had hoped to have mostly written a demonstration script on Thursday, but an error in my lsreal code (that I should have noticed sooner) took up most of my day; on the other hand, that error is caught, corrected, and I've got a few demonstrations in the works. I also wrote lscomplex, and wrote some documentation for it. As of right now, I don't know what I'll do for a demo function (in the function itself) unless I create a sample dataset to work from; I'll consider that while I work on the demonstration script.

As for this next week, I'm going to start on fastlscomplex, which may be somewhat time-consuming, particularly as the reference implementation makes broad use of single-linked lists (which I am not sure I can implement in Octave, thus I may need an alternate solution.) As always, commentary is welcome both here and over the various Octave mailing lists.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ben,

    I'm pretty sure that you can not implement a linked list in GNU Octave and maintain O(1) removal. You might have to go to C++ for fastIscomplex if you really need linked lists.

    I'm curious if there is actually a way to implement linked lists in GNU Octave, so please keep me up to date if you find one.

    Good luck on your project!
    Max Brister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Max,

    I did some searching today, and from what I was able to drag up, there is a way to do linked lists — at least in MATLAB (it relies on their classdef objects), and it looks kinda shady. There's a way to do linked lists containing only numbers which I saw, but it looks to be a wrapper around an array, with all its inherent problems. I'll keep looking, but I think today I'm going to see if I can structure the code to avoid needing a list, and if not, I guess it's time to figure out calling C++ from Octave.

    Good luck to you, too!
    Ben

    ReplyDelete